Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Add "All Pages"
Google and Beyond Simple Searching
This session will focus on learning how to expand the search functions of Google beyond just typing in a few keywords. Learn to maximize your time in searching to find exactly what you are looking for in a short amount of time. Also, you will learn about tools to deliver searched content to your website, RSS reader, Google Reader, phone, email, or text messaging. Watch the video below to get a quick peek at how to use some advanced search features in Google.
I used a tool in our presentation called ZoomIt! This is from Microsoft and you can
download it here for free
Search Options -
Search a topic to narrow your results
Google Resources for Educators
Online Training for Educators
Maximizing Your Google Experience:
Create a Google Account
- use your KISD email address to setup the account.
An account not only gives you access to Google's Collaborative Tools; it also lets you save search items, Reader, RSS, and more.
Step 2: Check out the Navigation Tools to help you maximize your Search Time
- Searches the entire web
- Searches only images
- Searches only video
- Search only through Google maps and get driving directions
Shopping - Search only through Google Product Search
- Access to Google Mail or Gmail
- Search Google News resources
More - Shows more tools that Google Offers:
- you can build your own group to collaboratively work on discussions, webpages, and shared search tools.
Kerrville ISD Technology Group
- made yesterday!
- read books online or download them to a Google Android phone or iPhone
- Searches scholarly literature including peer-reviews, theses, books, abstracts, articles all from academic publishers.
- Real time Financial Tracker and stock search tool
- Search tool for finding blogs
- Google purchased YouTube and now the entire catalog is search-able
- Make and manage shared calendars. See how
HPMS is using Google Calendars for their teams!
Photos - Works with
- a download-able tool for managing pictures on your computer and then uploading them to share
- Create, upload and share documents, spreadsheets, forms, and presentations.
- Subscribe to online RSS Feeds and XML/Atom information that is funneled to you instead of you searching for it.
- Create your own website
Can you believe....they have even more!
- the testing playground for future Google Projects
But....let's step back to just the regular Google Search Engine to see what types of ways we can narrow our search:
- Here you can narrow your search by the words or phrases. But if you look a little further down the page, under Need More Tools:
: You can restrict your search to PDF, Power Point, Word, Excel, Google Earth File, Flash file, etc. You could literally search for just Powerpoint files you need.
is a place for Powerpoint files so don't forget you can look here too! Searchable!
is also a place for documents online. College kids use it to share cheat sheets and crib notes. Searchable!
Search within Any Domain
: Restrict your search to a specific website: NYTimes.com for example
This is an example of a searchable domain that I built in Google. It searches this wiki using a Google search engine that is customized to search only in this domain.
- Build a customized search tool for your login
Click on Language Tools and you can change your Google Search to be Klingon, Elmer Fudd, Bork!, and other languages. Also has a built-in language translation tool.
"I'm Feeling Lucky" button on search - Goes automatically to first result page when clicked. Doesn't list search results but takes you automatically to first search result.
More Google Video Training:
Google Forms and Google Documents
Google 15 Second Lessons on Searching
- Directory of 17 videos
Google Squared - Table Search Results for Comparing Data
Google Wave - The Future of Google Collaboration
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"